Tuesday, 24 February 2009

In The Greenhouse Of Burberry

When I saw this ad campaign in Vogue a few months ago, featuring the 4th picture below, I was smitten. How quintessentially English a setting is an old glass greenhouse bursting with shrubs, bushes and grasses? It provides the perfect backdrop to the floppy hats, feminine dresses and impeccable tailoring sported by Lily Donaldson et al.

The metal flowers and buds clustered on leather necklaces are quite beautiful, and evocative of memories of early spring when trees begin to blossom. I admire Christopher Bailey for this quirky choice of milieu - I find it a welcome relief from the plain and boring white screen in front of which most fashion advertisements are shot.

The pleating of this sheer dress is incredibly pretty, and I love how it's been paired with a worn-in denim coat.

The flower appliqué on the sleeves of the green coat adds interest and dimension to the piece, and the dress on the left is a such a pretty shade of rosy pink.


Sequins and metallics are anything but ostentatious when worn with slouchy woolen socks and bucket hats - relaxed glamour at it's best.

The dip-dyed brown trench seems to be inspired by mud and water soaking up the hem, creating an ombré effect.

The textured emellishments of some of the garments are just stunning - I can only wonder at the craftmanship that went into their development.

If you wish, you can view the entire ad campaign here.

31 comments:

Ohlala Tres Belle said...

omg i so totally love those ad's to
there ad's are always so cool and chic

Ida said...

Lily looks stunning here as usual.

zoe. said...

I love those ad campaigns theyre really original and totally english, although im not sure id hang out in a greenhouse :)

Hannah is Narnia's Closet said...

ooh great ad campaign! so beautiful, and the styling is incredibly well done!

filthy lust said...

that's a great campaign.

Echo said...

I love the overall look to the ads, everything goes so well together.

The Clothes Horse said...

This makes me want to study in a greenhouse.

Catherine said...

I was going to put some of those on my wall, but it didn't really fit in. Quite lovely!

Darragh said...

these advertisements were the highlight of my day. they really played up the organic feel of the clothes with the scene and makeup. now if only i had the money to get my hands on some of those pieces.

Gladys Lopez said...

I saw these ads at the mall in the Burberry store!

susie miller said...

my bailey is so clever. i love the burberry bags, shoes, jewelery.

Ariella said...

I loved this campaign the first time I saw it - it's so romantic, English and dreamy!

Elodie... said...

omg i'm in love with their style (and with the boy with long hair, haha)

Joezehh said...

thanks for your lovely comment :)
that ad campaign is gorgeous,
i love the fact that burberry always comes up with something a bit quirkier than the other ad's,
(of course the exception would be d&g's fall collection last year, with the country family portrait, what was that about?)
x x x

Lady P said...

This ad campaign made me the happiest and I love seeing you comment on it - I loved the ruffles and muted colors, the floppy hats and ease of the garments - I felt like I could be there - yeah, I could....

Georgie said said...

I love this campaign aswell! Thank you for commenting on my blog :-)
x

OhDearLeah said...

hii,
thanks for the comment, i love these outfits, and your right they are the epitomy of British style!

do you want to trade links?
xxx

Sophia said...

that was such a great campaign.
i want that trench coat!

Way Existential said...

Hi, I came across your blog on TFS, and just wanted to say hello. :)

I love this campaign! I absolutely cannot pick just one favourite outfit. And you're right, the backdrop is so quintessentially English, yet I would never have imagined it to be the backdrop of such a stunning ad.

erin meagan said...

amazing! i love these!

closeup said...

I loove this campaigne!! lily donaldson is just wow!

Kate said...

great campaign... and I LOVE that sheer dress in the first picture! Gorgeous.

alana said...

I only wish I could find a place like that to take lovely photographs, it would a great experience! Burberry's ads are just so neatly composed although not to eloquent in the clothing department. Nice pictures!

Caroline said...

Burberry this year was very lovely as are these ads!

KB said...

Nice blog, your analysis is spot on. I love the English setting as well, , and it's beautifully shot.

janettaylor said...

I love Burberry, it so much classy, comfy, but really chic be with an any kind of age. TIMELESS! Its secret! LOL!

xoxo: Janet

kristen said...

brilliant ads.

Emlyn said...

What beautiful styling!
I'm thinking about trying to do a DIY on that lovely gradient trench....
Also I beautiful blog, I may need to start following

Kristiina said...

Thanks for the comment :)
Awesome blog, I love it

Brigadeiro said...

OMG! Thanks for sharing these pics! LOVE LOVE LOVE Burberry Prorsum, and this campaign/collection is just a dream! :)
xx

Luchi*cha said...

Can u imagine if these group like a scene of Skins? I mean, will be a different ad campagne... will be like Gucci, tho!

I always love Burberry!

Luchi¨cha