Wednesday, 4 March 2009

Treasure

The other day, my mother brought this adorable little tin from work. She works in what used to be an old Victorian house, and when they were cleaning out one of the old rooms she found this tucked away into a corner. Imagine her surprise when she opened it up to see it full of trinkets and treasures! Her boss was going to throw it out, so she was allowed to take it home to me. I don't think it's been opened for nearly a hundred years - there was a little calendar (shown below) on the top of everything, dated 1913!



I love the little sailor men on the front of the matchboxes - there are two different kinds!

This olive crocheted necklace is embellished with loops of dark purple glass beads - I can almost picture the girl who wore it last!

Silver and studded with clear crystals, I think I may attach this clip to the collar of my coat for some sparkle and shine.


I was thinking about dangling these 3 metal buttons on a gold chain and wearing them around my neck - they are just too pretty to be sewn on one blouse or cardigan!
As soon as I saw this dark grey rhinestone belt buckle, I've been dreaming of sewing some wide velvet ribbon so that I could sport this gem at my waist. I was thinking of using a deep pink or blue, but have had no luck locating any ribbon of the neccessary thickness...

Yet another of those ambiguous pieces whose purpose I am unsure of, I may string this up as a necklace using the holes already present.

A nice long piece of satin ribbon in purple should double up as a belt for this buckle - I really need to hit my local fabric and haberdashery store!

A lone gold and black earring painted with what looks like a Hindu goddess of some kind may end up as a brooch or a pendant, perhaps both.


Another selection of small pretty buttons, I will sew these onto a thin ribbon as a bracelet that I can tie around my wrist.


Geometric buckles made of plastic and mother of pearl will soon find a home threaded onto a narrow piece of fabric.

I'm now hunting for the perfect peach or coral cardigan to sew these tiny creamy buttons onto...

I think I will pair these orange buttons with a cobalt silk blouse - any ideas as of what to do with the matching belt buckle?


36 comments:

Diana said...

I love the tins! Such a cool mom to bring you this!

rinse repeat said...

Oh my goodness...all this loot? Lucky girl! I love those little calendars!

By the way--just say your comment...you're not too late! :)

Catherine said...

That's so awesome!

And what's your email address, I'd be willing to send you an invitation because you have a cute style and I totally feel your pain.

Lady P said...

That is like the best treasure box find ever!! could not have fallen into more deserving hands - I am salivating over some of those goodies already! For the orange belt buckle, I am thinking you should use more orange to finish the belt off - so nice to have a burst of tangerine at your waist...thanks for visiting the blog - the inspiration for that post indeed, came from you..

Cassiopeia said...

Amazing treasure! V jealous :-D the tin is so cute! I'd be tempted to copy the design onto paper and transfer it onto lots of plain articles of clothing! Very seasonal with the easter eggs and rabbit!

Those bits of bejewelled loveliness will make great pendants. Do show when you produce them! :-D

Xxxc

Danz said...

These are all such lovely and unique finds!

Jess said...

You are so lucky to have found those! All the things you plan to do with them sound amazing. You're so creative! I'm jelous.

Nina (femme rationale) said...

oh, that is so cool. i love discovering vintage trinkets like these.

Pansieberry said...

i love vintage tins! they're what i usually splurge on when i visit antique shops.
i've always wanted to find a little treasure box, not "real" treasure like gold and jewels, but little knicknacks from an age gone by. you are SO lucky!

Hannah is Narnia's Closet said...

what an awesome surprise! those are all such great finds! i'm jealous!

Emz said...

Those are so cute! I should go raid my grandma's closet sometime.. Those are all really cute pieces!

inbox said...

what an awesome treasure chest to come across. i love that tin!

thanks so much for your comment on my blog. i linked you!

ivy said...

Thanks for commenting on my blog :)
Lovely little trinkets there.

Amelia said...

That's so amazing! I can't decide what I like more--the tin or its contents.

jaleh said...

what an amazing post, oh my god. i love old trinkets and tins and things exactly like this. all of it is lovely :)

Sharon Rose said...

Hi there-wow, lucky you, what stunning treasures!!

hanna said...

oh my goodness, what a lucky find!!!

Georgie said said...

These finds are fantastic! What cute items, I would love to find something like this.
I am adding your link to my page NOW! :-)
x

Couture Carrie said...

I adore antiques! What fun and fanciful finds! You are really creative :)

xoxox,
CC

atelier said...

that's so cool! they are all lovely!

janettaylor said...

I love Ur first box! :) I love vintage!

xoxo: Janet

closeup said...

nice post :)

Sol said...

I can't believe they were throwing it out! Luckily your mom was there to take it home with her. I love everything that was inside... almost like a real treasure chest.

The Clothes Horse said...

I adore all these little oddities. The tins are especially darling.
P.S. Yes my beret is my father's old army one. :)

Flashes of Style said...

Oh I love these buttons! So precious.

Mary said...

I love this! I open a tin of my grandmother's every month and this so reminds me of it!

pieter said...

aw thats too cute

emma said...

i love finding old stuff like this!

Twobreadsplease said...

You're so lucky to have found that, it's filled with so much lovely stuff! x

Ariella said...

How fun! So many little treasures... I would have loved that too! I especially like the calendar and the matches!

Ediot said...

these items are all so nice. i love vintage things. storytelling

chichintern23 said...

love the jewelery

Demi said...

thank you for your lovely comment, honey :)

and wowwwww, thats amazing! such gorgeous stuff!!

xx

「 ℒady ℐehanné.ℋ 」 said...

Wow, your blog is awesome! Love these items you have! :)

- if you would like to view my blogs just e-mail me! xoxox

llamasandme said...

the "ambiguous" piece which you are unsure of is actually an old shoe buckle.

The pattern and all the "cuts" on it made it look like diamonds when shone in candlelight. This was to fool people in the "olden days" to thinking you had money when in fact...it was a steel belt buckle.

I forgot the name of them but they are pretty common in the antique world and can be sold for quite a sum of money.

My mom makes jewelry with them so I've become quite an expert on the subject. And I frequent antique fairs/shops.

But cute pieces!!

Idealism_ said...

Gorgeus! They are soo lovely :]